Friday, May 9, 2008

On Blogging and the Female Persuasion

I just got this in my inbox today (some of you may be very interested to pass it along to pals if you haven't seen it already...):

http://blogs.mediapost.com/research_brief/?p=1702

The title?
"Women Would Sacrifice Almost Anything But Chocolate for Blogging"

Wow. Seems pretty intense, doesn't it? That's a major statement.
I have to say while I am a newbie at this blog thing, it does provide a wonderful outlet for me. With that said...let's see how I agree with the general population of BlogHer.

Women are so passionate about blogging, says the report, that large percentages said they would give something up to keep the blogs they read and/or write:

  • 55% would give up alcohol
  • 50% would give up their PDAs
  • 42% would give up their i-Pod
  • 43% would give up reading the newspaper or magazines
  • only 20% would give up chocolate
I would not be giving up wine or chocolate. They are just too much a part of my life. The PDA can go. The iPod...I could live without it. Newspapers and magazines. What, no NY Post Page Six? No SuDoku? No Cookie Magazine? Mmmm....well, I guess I can read it all online. So, okay.

Makes you think about what you would give up, period, if life was a series of trade-offs.

Maybe that's a good way to look at my life today. Let me think about that.

2 comments:

CEK said...

Of course, this survey is of a self-selected group, and one that obviously actively participates in the activity they are being quizzed about. A better title to the survey would be "Women BLOGGERS Would Sacrifice Anything but Chocolate for Blogging." I believe the results would be radically different if expanded to all women and not just bloggers.

N said...

One hundred percent agree, Googs. And let's be clear...it's not just women bloggers, it's women on BlogHer. Even more self-selected.

Clearly I don't have the mindset to stick to the chick-only blog.

They probably got some donuts to answer the questions anyhow, as we say in the marketing biz.